Post-Operative Instructions for FastBraces
Taking good care of your FastBraces is really important to a healthy and infection-free mouth
- Brush twice a day for at least 2 minutes, under and around the wires, the brackets, and your gums to loosen any food particles. You should floss daily. Rinse your mouth thoroughly after you brush, and also rinse your toothbrush. We recommend using a water oral hygiene device that helps remove food particles.
- The brackets and wires on your teeth make it harder for you to clean them. Trapped food particles and plaque are a breeding ground for cavities causing bacteria. If gum disease develops, it causes swelling of the gums, which makes proper cleaning even more difficult. It is very important to get the food particles out of your mouth, after each meal, because they can stain tooth enamel.
- Always use the proper techniques that your doctor has shown you for brushing and flossing. While wearing your braces, be sure to schedule regular cleanings at least every 3 months to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Food to AVOID while wearing your braces:
Becoming familiar with your braces usually means making a few adjustments to your eating habits. Some foods damage your braces or cause problems for your teeth.
The following list of foods should either be avoided OR you must prepare these foods differently than you have in the past and use caution while eating them.
- Apples: do not bite into a whole apple, cut the apple into small pieces
- Bubble Gum
- Candy: no caramel, taffy, gummy bears, etc
- Carrots: Cut carrots into thinly sliced pieces
- Corn on the Cob: remove the corn kernels from the cob before eating
- Sticky Foods: Avoid, they can bend wires or pull brackets off
- Sugary Foods: If you must indulge, brush your teeth ASAP or rinse your mouth with water
- No Corn Chips or Pretzels
- No Ice
- No Nuts, Popcorn
- No Pizza Crust or Crusty Breads
During treatment, if a bracket or wire becomes loose, please call the office as soon as possible so it can be cemented or replaced.
Call us with any questions at 469 498 4445!